What are the upcoming complications with sural nerve entrapment surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
What is the out look for a sural nerve entrapment surgery?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Sural nerve entrapment surgery is very safe and we do not expect any complications after this surgery. Most often, it can be done under local anaesthesia and usually takes 30-60 minutes to complete the procedure. Also, it would help relieve your symptoms. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What are the upcoming complications with sural nerve entrapment surgery? 18 hours later
Dr. do you expect that I would lose use of my leg after the nerve entrapment surgery. I hope not because I have so much pain now up the back of and side of my leg and foot I am so tempted to have the surgery

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. No, you would not lose the use of leg after the nerve entrapment surgery. This is because the aural nerve does not supply any of the muscles, it supplies only the sensory nerves, which provide sensations to the skin.. So, in occasional cases, there may be numbness or loss of sensation in a small area on the outer aspect of foot. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)