What are the underlying causes for having random muscle spasms throughout my body?
User rating for this question
I have begun having random muscle spasms throughout my body. Starting with an old fashioned foot cramp (it always hurts like that cramp too.) ranging through my calf muscles up my sides wrapping around to my shoulder blade. Sometimes up the sides of my neck. Only one side and one area at a time are affected . This lasts anywhere from a a few moments to an hours long on the edge of cramp. Had ACDF 7/ 2012. There was suspected. spinal chord swelling. gabapentin 1800mg/24
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Rule out any spinal cord related cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX There are many causes of muscle spasm. As you have history of Spinal cord swelling, and surgery for cervical spines disc, our foremost plan would be to rule out any spinal cord related cause. There are certain specific investigations, which your specialist will advise you like EMG, CT scan or MRI. To rule out other causes, your Doctor has to ask you detail history, and to do complete clinical examination. It is also important to rule out some systemic cause, like Hypothyroidism, Hypoglycemia, electrolyte disturbances, Atherosclerosis, and history of some drugs, caffeine etc. You must also avoid dehydration, overuse of same particular group of muscles, and avoid overstretching or forceful contraction of those muscles Group. My most probable diagnosis, based on history given by you, would be related to your spinal surgery or the primary disease for which you had to undergo surgery, as your history suggests that it is one-sided muscle fibers, and nerves are involved. It is better you go to the same surgeon, who has done your surgery. Dr H Hamdani
People also viewed
- What causes muscle spasms
- I am suffering from gouty arthritis, can i take decadron?
- Symptoms of progressive dementia
- I am suffering from diaper rash, can i take calmoseptine?
- Is vanatrip used in the treatment of chronic depression ?
- Symptoms of thoracic spine disease
- Is prozac weekly used in the treatment of panic disorder?
- Random muscle spasms all over body
- What causes eye muscle spasms
- Symptoms of spondylotic myelopathy
- Is afinitor used in the treatment of carcinoma, lobular ?
- What causes regular muscle spasms in the body
- Symptoms of poststroke seizures
- What causes muscle spasms under rib cage
- Symptoms of facial paralysis