What are the types of skin allergy?

ENT Specialist
type of skin allergy
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. This type of skin allergy is most probably eczema.

2. The reasons vary from dryness, allergy, contact allergy, infections (parasitic, bacterial, fungal, viral), sweat related, genetic (esp. if you also have a tendency towards asthma), insect bites and so on.

3. There are many subtypes of such skin disorders. You have not mentioned the extent of the lesions nor attached a close up image. Hence a direct examination by a Skin Specialist will be required to get a definitive diagnosis. In cases of doubt, a skin scraping or biopsy will settle the issue.

4. Treatment depends upon the extent and severity. Common medications include anti-allergic to reduce itching, steroid ointments to reduce inflammation, creams to moisturize and hydrate the skin along with measures to avoid contact with allergens and to avoid eating or inhaling allergens. Severe cases may require immuno-supressants and photodynamic therapy.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.