What are the treatment available for stammering?

Feb 2013

Good evening. I have small request to get rid of stammering. One of my friend, who has been suffering by stammering from childhood. He is 25 now, while speaking he is getting too much of struggle, If you give some advises that's will help him.

Thanks & Regards,

Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Good evening,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The treatment of stammering depends on the following principles:

1.Speaking more slowly and in a relaxed manner

2.Regulating breathing while speaking

3.Gradually progressing from single syllable responses to longer words and more

But the Speech pathologist or Speech therapist will guide how to pronounce the words and to lessen the stammering.

So I advise you to consult a Speech therapist for behavioral speech therapy.

If it is unsuccessful, drug therapy is available which will be advised by a Psychiatrist.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.