What are the symtoms of hyperthyroidism and what are the associated risks?

my recent blood test indicated elevated mch, mcv, & anion gap (?) levels. These tests were requested by my primary physician & an allergist. I have a friend who is a diagnostician & says my skin issues (hence seeing an allergist) & some weight loss (but I'd been trying to accomplish that goal) indicate hyperthyroidism. Do these test results support that conclusion? Should I continues with allergy testing? What risks are associated with hyperthyroidism?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: They do not suggest hyperthyroidism Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about these findings. They are in no way suggestive of a thyroid problem.The best way to find out whether you have a possible thyroid problem is to do TSH levels. This would tell whether there is any abnormality like hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism that need further investigation. Hyperthyroidism typically presents with symptoms like anxiety, fast and pounding heart beat, diarrhea, moist palms, fine hair, irritability, etc. The greatest risk is a failing heart if nothing is done. In all, get a basic TSH. Your blood tests are not very conclusive and informative. I will suggest that you upload the test result sheet because I need more information to make a call here. For sure, it is not related to hyperthyroidism. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.