What are the symtoms and cure for Lichen Planus?

ENT Specialist
do you have oral medicine specialists to consult? I think I have Lichen Planus of the mouth. I have peeling gums for 9 months now. I am desparate I need relief immediately. Please help me!
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Triamcinolone gel for local application Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Lichen Planus is a condition which runs in a waxing and waning course and stress plays an important factor in relapses. Still with all regimens of treatment, the condition does show relapses. Use of triamcinolone gel for local application over the lesions in oral cavity helps in resolution of the symptoms. A short course of oral steroids also helps in early resolution of symptoms. If the symptoms don't improve and lesions do not resolve, please consult a dermatologist and a pulse therapy involving steroids will be needed. But problem in your case will be diabetes as using steroids will be a problem. Strict diabetic control will be required during the period of steroid use if your dermatologist decides so. Also oral steroids should only be used when the lesions are very severe and symptomatic, otherwise local application of triamcinolone gel should suffice. Also avoid stress and that helps in decreasing the relapses. Feel free to ask another query.
Follow-up: What are the symtoms and cure for Lichen Planus? 1 hour later
do I need a prescription for trismindone gel? I don't have any leasions just a flim of skin coming fro my top gums and going in my bottom teeth and XXXXXXX tongue over my mouth. My tongue is all over my mouth pushing skin. It is driving me crazy. Please help me! Thank You! Where do I put this gel?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: A GP prescription may be required. Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. A GP prescription will be sufficient to get triamcinolone gel. If the skin film is loose or peeled off, removing it will suffice and use an antiseptic oral rinse after that for few days. If the film is not loose, local application of gel will help in resolving the whitish areas in few days. Feel free to ask another query. Regards