What are the symptoms, prevention's and cure for exertional headache?

Nov 2013

what I should I do about exertional headache. what are the symptoms, preventions and cure?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Most likely, you have a tendency for migraine, as migraine headaches tend to get worse with exertion.

First of all, you need to avoid the likely triggers for these headaches:

1. Foods such as cakes, cheese, Chinese food, too much coffee, chocolates, etc may aggravate these headaches. If you are sensitive to any of them, you should avoid them.

2. Avoid direct exposure to sunlight,

3. Avoid exposure to loud noises,

4. Eat food on time and avoid fasting,

5. Avoid excessive stress and tension.

The role of preventive medications comes in, when someone has more than two episodes of headaches per month.

Good medicines in this category include beta blockers, flunarizine, Topiramate, divalproex, etc.

For relief of pain when severe headaches come, good medications are rizatriptan, vasograine, ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, etc.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: What are the symptoms, prevention's and cure for exertional headache? 18 hours later
It started like last week monday morning in Gym and whole week i felt it.
What I should do so I can go back to gym again and is sitting posture plays any role in this( As most of the time i have been spending at home is laying on bed from last many months)
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

You can go back to gym. Start in a graded fashion, and gradually increase the duration of exercises in the gym.

At home, try spending most of time sitting. Lie down only for resting and sleeping.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: What are the symptoms, prevention's and cure for exertional headache? 19 hours later
Thanks XXXXXXX for your valuable advice.

I have a question more, that does smoking and drinking has any thing to do with my situation?

Also since I am a software engineer living in New Zealand. Do you have any advice for me since for whole day I have to sit against computer.

Also do you think in need to go see the doctor in person, if yes then should I go to a physician or Neurologist?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Smoking has no health benefits, and can cause problems with breathing, etc. Alcohol in small amounts may prevent heart attacks. However, I do not advocate either smoking or drinking. In your case, there is no direct linkage to your situation with either smoking or drinking.

You should adopt a good posture while sitting. Take a small break and walk around every hour. Keep stretching your neck for a few minutes every hour. At home, you can do stretching exercises for lower back too.

You can see a physician for advice, if your symptoms continue to recur.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM