What are the symptoms of acute HIV infection?

Question
I had a condom break 25 days ago and am worried about acute hiv symptoms. The symptoms I have had are a stuffed nose with sneezing and a productive cough and I constantly have to plug my nose and blow out to clear my ears out. I haven't really had a severe headache I have just felt a lot of pressure in my head which is why I try to clear out my ears a lot. The headache and coughing and sneezing has subsided on the third day and I am starting to feel better. I haven't had a fever and I still work out every day but I do feel a little fatigued and I haven't been eating as much as usual although I do eat 3 times a day and have no trouble eating.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis which is an inflammation of the nasal sinuses hence producing nasal congestion, sinus headaches and post nasal drip trickling down the throat. The best way to get rid of a stuffy nose is to use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever). But these are to be used for 5-7 days at a time.

You may also use nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription. If you have fever or the cough is worsening then you may need a course of antibiotics as well. In that case it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.

However the best treatment for stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

It is true that many people do not develop symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus. So if you had any unprotected intercourse recently, get a HIV test done. HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What are the symptoms of acute HIV infection? 4 hours later
Does something like that usually not have a fever to go along with it. Additionally It came on slowly in other words on Friday when I woke up in the morning my throat was a little scratchy but not painful and then Saturday I felt kind of like I was in a haze all day the same with Sunday I just felt a lot of pressure in my head it was kind of like having a hangover. That's what it felt like It's now Monday and I am starting to feel better and all I took was some nasal decongestent. It hasn't hurt to swallow or anything and the cough has been very mild. Does sinusitis usually clear up after 3-5 days?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back. It is not mandatory that sinusitis is accompanied by a fever. Acute sinusitis is usually precipitated by an earlier symptoms last less than 10 days, it is generally considered viral sinusitis and from your symptoms it looks like viral sinusitis. It can clear after 3-5 days with little medication and only by decongestants and steam inhalation.