What are the side effects of keratin treatment for hair?

I want to ask about the ''keratin treatment for hair'' (the original Brazilian). Is it safe for my hair ? does it damage the hair? I heard that it brakes the links of the hair and after the effect of the treatment is gone the hair will be in a poor unhealthy condition.
Do you advise me to do this treatment , note that may hair is smooth but wavy, I want it to be straight
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Females go for a keratin hair treatment to rejuvenate and straighten their dull, listless locks.
Keratin is the substance which the hair (as well as the nails) are made of. Frequently abusing hair with styling and heating and chemical applications causes it to lose keratin’s quality. The hair shaft becomes spliced and uneven, and gains a dull, unmanageable appearance. Fortunately, scientists have devised a way to extract keratin from other sources, like animal wool, and turn it into a mixture that acts like liquid hair. Applying this product to human hair returns the keratin to the hair shaft’s cortex and fills it up, turning it soft and shiny again. It can even make frizzy or curly hair so much easier to straighten. The additional keratin coating can also make the hair more resistant from elements like the sun, wind, or extreme changes in temperature.
People who have tried the keratin treatment  swear that their hair has become shinier and softer after the session. The treatment works best with color treated or damaged hair because the keratin bonds more completely around brittle hair.
While this process is simple, there are a few documented keratin hair treatment side effects.
 numerous reports are documented indicating women experience hair loss one to two weeks after a keratin treatment. The only way to find out if the keratin treatment is responsible is to visit a dermatologist. The dermatologist will do extensive testing to determine the cause of sudden hair loss.

Finally, although keratin treatments create beautiful straight hair, there have been some reports that the hair texture becomes dry and brittle. Many women have complained that hair breakage increases resulting in the appearance of thinning hair.
How long the treatment lasts depends on your hair’s natural texture, but typically the effect can last from two to four months. The best way to make it longer lasting is to treat it frequently. The more keratin treatments you get, the longer each treatment will last.
However you must weigh pros and cons for the treatment yourself and must visit a dermatologist for his opinion whether your hair are suitable for keratin treatment or not.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: What are the side effects of keratin treatment for hair? 34 minutes later
Thanks for this good amount of information

I want you to advise me , shall i go for this treatment or no?

will my hair be in worst condition after the keratin is gone from my hair?

Note that my hair is soft but wavy, i want it to be straight.

Will I regret after doing it?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
As I told you earlier that you can consult a dermatologist who can tell you specifically and also your colleagues who can share their experience and views regarding the facility and authenticity of the services being provided in your city.