What are the side effects of hypothyroidism on pregnancy ?

hi i was tested with hypothyroidism month back (6.27 H). My doctor has prescribed me with levothyroxine (25 mg). I am having this medicine from 1 month now. Today i did pregnancy test after missing my period 12 days back. Pregnancy test came positive. Please adviice what should i do. Do i need to be worried of anything
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

It is good that your hypothyroidism got detected prior to conceiving.

Now that your pregnancy test has come positive, you need to keep an eye on your thyroid hormone levels. Get regular ante natal checkups done to rule out or detect early complications of hypothyroidism. These include anemia, low birth weight and pre eclampsia. So get your hemoglobin count, ultrasounds and BP monitored at regular intervals.

Continue with the synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxin and keep a watch on above mentioned parameters. Also get the tests repeated every 6-8 weeks to keep an eye on the TSH levels. The dose of the levothyroxine may have to be adjusted accordingly to keep the TSH levels in the optimum range. You should be fine if the TSH levels are in the optimum range.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of hypothyroidism on pregnancy ? 34 minutes later
My period ended on 5th of july and i have 31-32 days cycle. I am 15 days delay and i just had pregnancy test which came positive. i have scheduled appointment with gynecologist on 17th of this month which is 4 days from now. Please guide what precaution i should take before my visit. Is it OK to wait till 4 days or I should visit doctor immediately.

Do i need to worry about anything as this is my first time? I am little nervous as i am in USA. Do I need to take emergency appointment with doctor tomorrow or I can wait till 17th.

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

There is no need to worry. Please do continue taking the levothyroxine as prescribed.

It is fine to wait for 4 days to see your doctor, You need not fix an emergency appointment for this.

Take adequate rest. You can go ahead with your scheduled appointment.

You need not worry about anything although this is your first pregnancy.

Be happy and cheerful.

Wishing you a trouble free pregnancy.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of hypothyroidism on pregnancy ? 29 hours later
I have question regarding pregnancy test. I did 5 times and it came out to be positive. By any chance, can they be incorrect? Can it show false positive?

I know appointment with gynocologist will tell more but want to seek your advice on this.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

No. The chance that the reports are false positive is unlikely.

Pregnancy test kits have been accurate on most occasions. They cannot be wrong on five occasions.
You are pregnant. You can confirm the same by having an ultrasound scan.

Hope this helps.

Wish you gook health.

Thanks again for posting your query.

Take care and regards.