What are the side effects of having marijuana with Nyquil and Theraflu ?

I took Nyquil and Theraflu to combat a cold I was experiencing, and shortly after had a small amount of marijuana. Maybe 10 minutes later, I began having difficulty breathing, seeing, or doing much of anything really, besides desperately trying to grasp on to the smallest thread of reality in order to stay awake and stay conscious. I awake the next day after sleeping through the remainder of the day, with a slight weakened feeling of the heart. I remember having some pains during the event, some of which was in my heart and others throughout the rest of the body. I remember gasping for air and an inability to breathe fluidly. My vision was blurred and doubled, and although I couldn't really focus, I kept the TV on and tried to stay attentive as I fought off sleep, fearing something more permanent was just around the corner. It was during the near blacking out that I could feel my heart beat irregular, and my lungs flutter.

My questions are, was it the combination that did this to me, what did I experience, what damage did it cause and what do I do to fix whatever I messed up.

I await patiently and appreciate your response.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later

Let me provide you with some information and reassurance regarding what you experienced. This was certainly a combined central nervous system effect of the medications and the marijuana.

Depending on the brand formulation of daytime/nighttime both Nyquil and theraflu have medications in them which are antihistamines. These drugs work to help decrease allergy and congestion. They are well known to also cause drowsiness. Taking these at the same time can have a synergistically sedative effect.

When you add the marijuana to the mix of theraflu and Nyquil this can create a mental fog and confusion as well as drowsiness which could persist for many hours. This can be XXXXXXX but fortunately in your case you did fine.

Let me reassure you that you did not suffer any permanent effects or limitations. I would caution you however to be very careful when using any of these products in the future and only use them as directed and in the absence of marijuana.

I thank you again for your query and hope you have found my response to be both adequate and informative. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.