What are the side effects of Mifegest?

My wife has taken periods postponed tablets(2nos) on 25th&26th day of cycle respectively.After 39th day we have checked and found that UPT +ve. She is planning to take mifegest tablet tablet. Kindly let me know the side effetcs of the drug.
Please let us know posibility of concive in next periods cycle or else how many days we need maintain the gap for next pregnancy from the tablet taken date
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
Medical termination of pregnancy up to 49 days gestation involves the use of two drugs: three tablets of Mifegest (mifepristone) 200 mg each followed by two tablets of Cytolog (misoprostol) 200 mcg each 48 hours later. The procedure is to be undertaken strictly under medical supervision.

The drugs induce vaginal bleeding and uterine cramping necessary to trigger an abortion. Abortion generally occurs within 72 hours of the first dose. The success rate varies from 92 to 95%. If the procedure is not successful, then surgical evacuation should be done. The pregnancy should not be continued since the drugs may have injured the foetus.

Side effects for Mifegest include- incomplete abortion, excessive bleeding, severe abdominal pain.

It is usually advised to go for ultrasound to check if abortion is complete or not.

After taking mifegest and cytolog, you should wait for next period to start to come to know fertile period. In any cycle, from day 10-19 is considered fertile. In that period extra precaution need to be taken.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: What are the side effects of Mifegest? 18 minutes later
I have not understood below line,which u have written,
The pregnancy should not be continued since the drugs may have injured the foetus.

That means suppose to say should be concived for next month or need to maintain gap for one or two months?
What will happen if she gets concive in next(immidiate) period cycle?
It is advisable to get concive in next month?
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
The above line means- if incomplete abortion occurs due to drugs taken above; you can not continue that pregnancy.
This is because the drugs- mifegest and cytolog cause structural damage to fetus. Even if abortion is not completed, you need to continue further abortion with surgical procedure if required. That pregnancy can not be continued.

You can plan conception in next cycle once period resume in next month. Take precautions till she gets period, after that she can conceive, no problem.

I hope this information clears your doubt. In case of any doubt, feel free to revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.