What are the side effects of Amberen ?

I am a 47 yr old female in good health. I had a complete physical in October and everything was fine. To deal with night sweats (gyn said it was first stages of perimenopause) I ordered Amberen. Although it has worked wonders for the night sweats, I have started having muscle pain in my hands and arms. I've noticed some swelling in my hands, too. Could I be allergic to some of the ingredients? I contacted the company and they said they said 'definitely not'....So..any advice would help.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Amberen is the non hormonal therapy being promoted to reduce menopausal symptoms. Such products do contain multiple ingredients whose exact composition is not made public.
The complete harmful effects of Ambeern on the body are not yet known and are difficult to predict in the absence of proper trials.

Well allergy to such herbal products is very rare by not impossible.Most of times such products are subjective in their success and or reactions.My advice would be that if you have developed muscle pains and swelling after starting Amberen, then you should consider stopping it for a few days and see if it improves. Only by stopping it for at least fifteen days can suggest us about its association with your symptoms is there or not.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.