What are the pros and cons of having monofcal lense implants?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I am considering cataract surgery and want to know the pros and cons of having monofcal lense implants to give me monovision instead of having just long distance lenses implanted
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: I guess you want to know about multifocal lenses. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic I am Dr Dadapeer, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I read your question. I analyse it as below, Mono focal lenses as the name itself suggests they have got single focal length and hence they correct only for distance vision. Multi focal lenses have got multiple focal lengths and hence they can correct for distance, near, intermediate... and practically for all ranges between distance to near. Hence I guess you want to know about multi focal lenses. Multi focal lenses are designed to give correction at all distances, hence to improve the visual comfort and to avoid spectacles after cataract surgery. Please fo remember after monofoacl lenses spectacles are required for near vision correction as they correct only for distance. However multi focal lenses have got some disadvantages like glare and blurring of vision. These problems are more pronounced in night and dim illumination as the pupil dilates. Apart from these multi focal lenses have got adjustment problems if you have other eye with mono focal lens or normal clear lens. Hence to avoid this multi focal lenses are not advised to those with the following conditions Those who want to do driving particularly in night Those who have other eye being normal without cataract Those who are operated for cataract in the other eye with mono focal lens Because of the above mentioned reasons multi focal lenses are not very popular but if you can compromise with glare in dim light they provide excellent correction for distance and near and eliminate the need for spectacles after cataract surgery. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: What are the pros and cons of having monofcal lense implants? 3 hours later
actually I didn't want any info about multifocal lenses. I want to know what are the impacts of having monofocal lenses implanted so that one is for distance vision and one is for close up vision hence providing me with monovision. Maybe I need to ask this: Will the surgery with only long distance lense implants improve my close up sight at all ? Will I be able to see well enough to drive but not be able to read the dashboard instruments without glasses?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Monofocal lensrs will improve only distance vision Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic Thank you for the reply. Sorry I thought you wanted about multi focal lenses to have near and distance vision without need for spectacles after cataract surgery. Coming to your question of mono focal lenses, they correct only for one distance and usually we correct distance vision and the person has to wear spectacles for near vision. You want to know whether you can use correction for distance in one eye and for near in another eye. This is commonly done in case of contact lens correction so that the person has good near vision in one eye and good distance vision in another eye. The problem with this method is binocular vision will not be present as one eye is used for distance vision and another eye for near vision. Hence you will have problem with depth perception which will cause difficulty in driving. Hence this is not a good idea and once lens is implanted it cannot be reversed without a second surgery. Hence using mono focal lens in one eye to correct distance vision and to correct near vision in another eye is not advisable under normal circumstances. The better alternative is to use mono focal lenses to correct distance vision and to use spectacles for near vision correction. Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubt further please ask me I will be happy to answer. Thank you