What are the observations from the spine MRI and is it the right treatment?

Nov 2013

Hi, I am an ophthalmologist. I had acute back ache on Sunday morning while doing surgery. Severe and unbearable. Have called a neuro frind and took Tab.Powergesic MR, Tab Rantac D, Tab Ultracet, Cap MaxgallinM Systaflam Gel for Local aplication. Mri WAS DONE ON mONDAY IT REVEALS Sacralization of Lumbar Vertebra, Posterior central and left paracentra disk protrusion with posterior annual tear at L1-L2 level causing mild anterior thecal sac indentation and bilateral mild neural foramina narrowing. Posterior central and bilateral foraminal disks protrusion at L3-L4, L4-L5 level causing mild anterior thecal sac indentation and bilateral mild neural foramina narrowing. Cervical spondilosis with posteror disk osteophyte complex at C3 C4, C5C6 IV disc level causing mild anterior thecal sac indentation. I was advised rest for a weak and to continue above medication and nothing to worry. But I am worried as I am a surgeon and active tennis player aged 45. Anything in specific I should or shouldn't do or should i take a second opinion?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query and informing your symptoms. I have noted your MRI spine findings and would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about these findings. The abnormalities mentioned are minor in nature and do not require surgery. You would need to start physiotherapy including IFT/ultrasound/traction (for pain relief) and back extension exercises. You should avoid bending forwards and lifting heavy weights. Also, you should be cautious on long road journeys to avoid any jerks. Maxgalin (pregabalin) capsules may be continued for 4-6 weeks. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: