What are the methods for transmission of HIV ?

Hello Doctor, in the past i have had intercourse with a few women without protection. Its been a really long time since i have got tested. I have been married now and currently my wife is 3 months pregnant. Her tests results came out yesterday and it was HIV negative. Now my concern is, im not sure if i am HIV+ and im very scared to test. Now tht my wife is Negative, is there a chance of the baby being HIV + assuming im +
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 18 minutes later

I understand your genuine concern and appreciate it.

HIV can only be transmitted from the mother to the child if the woman is positive as transmission can occur inside uterus, during delivery or breast feeding.

It does not seem that you are suffering from HIV as it has been a long time(as you have explained)and also you do not have any signs and symptoms.

But it is best to get yourself tested once so that any doubt can be cleared up and also your wife is safe from future transmission if any.

Assuming you to be HIV positive, means to say that the baby can definitely become HIV positive.

Kindly get tested for your HIV status, DO not get scared of it. Everyone gets it done these days.
Nobody is actually safe.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What are the methods for transmission of HIV ? 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing, in ur answer u have said 'HIV can only be transmitted from the mother to the child' and again below u are saying 'Assuming you to be HIV positive, means to say that the baby can definitely become HIV positive' its contradicting ? i did a lot of research in the internet .. it says it can only be transmitted if the mother is HIV + ... in my case mother is HIV - and assume im Possitive, can the baby be possitive as well.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up. Let me clear you up.

The HIV can be transmitted mainly by three modes
1) Mother to Child
2) Blood from infected person to non infected person
3) Sexual intercourse between infected and non infected persons in any method.

Risk of HIV transmission is high if mother is HIV positive as she can transmit the infection to baby.

The chances of you transmitting to the child is zero (because none of the above methods are involved) but chances of you transmitting to your wife perse is high (one of the above, sexual activity). If a couple are HIV + then the chances are increased enormously.

As long as your wife is free of the infection your baby can be assumed to be safe inside uterus and HIV free.

Hope this helps!