What are the main causes for spitting up bright red blood frequently?

my husband has been spitting up bright red blood frequently for the past three to four days and is very tired
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below.... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you posting your query here. I read carefully medical history of your husbands concerns. With regards to spit up bright red blood there are two main culprit: 1.Pulmonary problems like pulmonary congestion, Cardiac problems of your husband, aortic valve may cause pulmonary congestion. 2. GI problems but less common like oral mucosa , dental problem ,stomach problem. If I were your treating doctor firstly I would recommend to rule out pulmonary problems doing Chest X-Ray and consult cardiologist for proper medication. If your cardiologist consult plan is to late please go to ER. After that you can perform upper endoscopy to rule out stomach problems. Upper endoscopy will be asked to you before aortic valve surgery from surgeon too. Hope this will help you. If you have other concerns I would be glad to assist you further. Wishing him fast recovery Dr.Klerida