What are the health hazards with asbestos exposure?

Hi. We recently moved into a rental property and i just found out a few days before we moved in the owners cut off all the asbestos pipe insulation in the basement. The basement door is open all the time and we do laundry down there and hang clothes down there. They wet the insulation and put it right in trash bags and disposed of accordingly but i am now concerned of the health of my family especially my young children 3 and 5. Should i be concerned about the air quality or see a doctor or wpuld we have to be exposed chronically?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Normally a short exposure does not harm. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following: 1. For changes of asbestosis to manifest, it usually takes 15 or more years. However if the concentrations are more in the air, short term effects may be seen. 2. However it is currently recommended to cut down any further asbestos exposure and have a baseline checkup of all family members by a physician. 3. Since they appear to follow the wetting procedure during processing the asbestos, the chances of exposure are minimal. 4. By contacting the environmental agencies, you can get the asbestos concentration measured in the air and if that is more than the acceptable limits for residential purposes then the asbestos procedures may be stopped. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist