What are the findings from the transvaginal ultrasound?

Question
47 yr old women on ortho try cyln low birth control pills for 16 yrs with 4 months of slight brown staining about 5 days before period, then stops for 2 days and then normal red period starts on time ....gyno ordered transvaginal ultrasound...ultrasound findings were high level echos associated with the endometrium without shadowing...20 mm cyst with no free fluid...impression: increased echogenicity associated with the endometrium, with question of signficance.....scheduled for sonohystergram in 5 days?..in your opionion what does this all mean?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: In most cases, the cause of abnormal bleeding with an associated irregularity in the lining of the uterus is related to uterine polyps. These are almost always benign. In fact, in 12 years I have never seen a cancerous endometrial polyp. The best way to evaluate this is with a sonohysterogram. This will give an excellent view of the contour of the uterine lining. In addition, given that you are over the age of 40, and regardless of the fact that you are on birth control pills, you should also have a biopsy of the uterine lining. This is extremely easy to do and could be done at the time of the sonohysterogram. I hope that this helps and good luck!

Follow-up: What are the findings from the transvaginal ultrasound? 35 minutes later
is there anything in my report that suggests uterurine cancer that would justify a biopsy

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: The chance that you have cancer OR pre-cancerous changes is very very small. But the lining is described as irregular and echogenic (so it is different that what would be seen normally). As I stated, given that there was a change in bleeding, despite being on birth control pills, and given the ultrasound findings and your age, the STANDARD of care would be to sample the uterine lining. Do not worry too much, but ask for the biopsy. This is the correct management of your situation. I hope that this helps and good luck!

Follow-up: What are the findings from the transvaginal ultrasound? 1 hour later
Last question...what is considered a normal thickness of the lining of utetus...mine was 8 mm a week before period.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: That is normal... Detailed Answer: In a woman still getting her period, the upper end of normal just before your period is about 14mm. Yours is less because you are on birth control pills. In a woman who has gone through menopause, it should be less than 4mm. I hope that this further helps you!

Follow-up: What are the findings from the transvaginal ultrasound? 7 hours later
I forgot to mention that my dr mentioned possible calfications ...what is that and can long time on the pill cause that...the tech doing my sonogram asked me if I ever.had a d and c when she was looking at the screen...i never did

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: I noted that as well in the original report regarding the increased echogenicity of the lining. This is likely related to some benign calcium deposition in the lining and does not indicate anything bad. Often it is present in the setting of prior procedures, but it is also common in women over time. This is nothing to worry about, but I would stick by my original recommendations.