What are the findings from the CT scan report and what causes muscle weakness due to paralysis below the waist?

Nov 2013

Dear Sir, My father's(Age-68) CT Scan report says that - 1.evidence of of well defined small hypodense in lesions in both external capsules. Suggestive of lacunar infracts.2.Evidence of generalise cerebral atropy in the form of dilation of ventricular systems and prominence of cysternal and culcal space. Opinion 1. Lacunar infract in above mention site. 2. Mild generalised cerebral atrophy 3. Age related ischmatic changes Taking medicine : Tab-Pyrament-800,Citinova-500,Syp-Nurokind -10 Please help.He is paralysed below from the waist.Not able to walk.Memory loss and not able to speak very clearly.No such improvement and already more than two months with the same condition. His muscles(thigh and leg) are weakening day by day. Please suggest some medicine to cure this.
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. It is unfortunate that your father is paralysed for past two months, and he has not improved much. I have noted the CT brain findings, and they can not explain his current symptoms fully. Lacunar infarcts mean small blood clots in the brain due to less blood flow. They generally cause paralysis of one side of body (hand and leg) and not both legs. Cerebral atrophy means shrinkage of brain, and is common at 68 years of age. So, we need to do other studies such as MRI of spine and brain to find out if he has any other reasons for paralysis of both legs. In the meanwhile, you can continue medications and physiotherapy. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: