What are the findings from my child's widal report?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor, My 11 year son has fever, temperature is varying... so far Antiboitic NOT been started yet , had blood culture test but report is awaited ... Kindly suggest but Widal report indicating WIDAL Test, Serum Result Unit ------------------------- --------- ------ S TYPHI 'O' 1:80 Titer S TYPHI 'H' <1:80 Titer S ParaTYPHI 'AH' <1:80 Titer S ParaTYPHI 'BH' <1:80 Titer Thanks XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: The widal report is negative at present. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. I went through the Widal report of your son. The present Widal test report is equivocal or negative. This titer of 1:80 can not be taken as a positive result for Typhoid fever. If the fever is persisting and clinical suspicion for Typhoid fever is there, then the Widal test has to be repeated again after 1 week to look for the raise of titers. Therefore I suggest you to be in follow up with the doctor for clinical correlation of the reports. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the findings from my child's widal report? 2 days later
Got blood culture report- Test Report Status Preliminary Results Biological Reference Range Units MICRO BIOLOGY CULTURE, BLOOD AND SUSCEPTIBILITY CULTURE; BLOOD - PRELIMINARY CULTURE - -POSITIVE ORGANISM -GRAM NEGATIVE BACILLI GROWN CULTURE; BLOOD - FINAL RESULT PENDING * AEROBIC SUSCEPTIBILITY GRAM NEGATIVE ORGANISM -RESULT PENDING * FIRST LINE ANTIBIOTICS - - RESULT PENDING * SECOND LINE ANTIBIOTICS -RESULT PENDING * SUPPLEMENTAL ANTIBIOTICS -RESULT PENDING **End

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Child needs a course of antibiotic. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. The blood culture is suggestive of child got infection with a bacteria which is gram negative. So the child needs an empiric antibiotic which acts against gram negative bacilli. Once the complete blood culture reports comes, specific antibiotic can be started depending on culture and sensitivity report. In addition to antibiotic, general measures such as paracetamol for fever, fluids for hydration maintenance, and monitoring of temperature, activity, and hydration status is required. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician with this report to correlate clinically and to start an appropriate medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the findings from my child's widal report? 23 hours later
Thanks for update, Today we got final report of blood culture test , I am consulting with pediatrician also uploaded that report for your kind review. Thanks

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Report suggestive of Typhoid infection. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. The blood culture is positive and showed the growth of Salmonella Typhi bacteria. And this infection is known as Typhoid fever. So the child needs a sensitive antibiotic course to treat the Typhoid infection. In addition to antibiotic course, proper rest, plenty of oral fluids to maintain hydration, and soft diet is needed. And take personal hygienic measures such as strict hand wash to prevent the spread of infection to other family members. Therefore I suggest you to consult your Pediatrician for treatment and be in regular follow up till the child recovers completely. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.