What are the findings from EKG?

I just had an ekg done and it said normal sinus rhythm, anteroseptal infarction probably old, abnormal repolarization, possible coronary ischemia. What does that mean?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome.

I shall interpret each aspect for your better understanding. Do let me know if there is anything unclear, even after my explanation.

1. Normal sinus rhythm: It is the normal heart rate/rhythm/beating

2. Anteroseptal infarction, probably old: Your ECG has picked up changes, that suggest that there could have been a myocardial infarction (heart attack, in layman terms) in a region of the heart called the anteroseptal area, sometime in the past. This is not something new, as this heart attack (myocardial infarction) has left a few changes, that depict an old attack

3. Abnormal repolarization: Repolarization is the process of movement/transport of various ions that normally occurs in the heart. This process can be affected by various conditions like ischemia, infarction's, medication, etc.

4. Possible coronary ischemia: It is suspected that there could be ischemia (shortage of blood supply leading to a shortage of oxygen supply as well to tissues of the heart) due to blockage in your coronary arteries

I hope all the information provided is clear. Please follow-up with your cardiologist at the earliest for further management of your condition and prevention of future cardiac complications.

Take care and god bless.
Follow-up: What are the findings from EKG? 21 hours later
Is this something I should be worried about right now? I do have an appt for an ultrasound of the neck/carotid artery in 2 weeks. Should I wait that long? I have experienced a lot of shortness of breath over the last few days, including palpitations (I have chronic atrial fib) and am not sure what is related to lupus, just being tired or something else.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello once again ma'am.

As mentioned this is an old event, and should not be something you need to seek immediate attention for, but it would be good to go about further and more elaborate work up for the same. Like the carotid doppler (ultrasound) in two weeks. Yes ma'am, you may wait for two weeks.

All your symptoms are related to the narrowing of your coronary arteries, which is passing lesser blood to parts of the body, and in turn lesser amount of oxygen; resulting in the shortness of breath (a natural response when the body is not receiving enough oxygen, it makes you want to breath more often).

Lupus has its own symptoms ma'am, not just exhaustion. But currently even the exhaustion can be related to your cardiac condition.

Please write back to me for any further clarifications, or even if you wish to learn more about lupus, I would gladly help.

Best wishes.