Ask a Dentist   »  

What are the complications after root canal surgery and how are they prevented ?

Hello! I had a root canal last Wednesday. It was the first one I have ever had. I had to go back Friday becasue they pain was so bad. I couldn't touch the tooth at all. They filed it down and gave me amoxcillin and hydrocodon. I have taken it for 2 full days. My cheek is a little swollen and is sore. Is this normal? How long will this pain last? My sinus are also bothering me so I don't know if that would have something to do with the pain, but I am on vacation and miserable. What should I do?

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

Root canal treatment is done to destroy the nerve root underlying the tooth and then the cavity is filled up with different dental materials.

It is very common for a tooth to be sensitive after a filling.

Your nerve may be"upset" after all that work and needs some time to calm down.

Usually the tooth recovers and is just fine.

Although the intent of root canal treatment is to eliminate infection and pain, this does not necessarily happen immediately.

Quite the contrary-- some amount of pain during and immediately after root canal treatment is to be expected.

This is because the process may irritate sensitive tissues surrounding the root of the involved tooth.

Additionally, septic material may be forced through the tip of the root during instrumentation, causing an acute flare-up of the pre-existing infection.

You can take the OTC pain killers and hydrocodone as advised by your dentist and will have to have some patience. It will be alright after some time.

Your dentist should be made aware of your pain; he may be able to take steps to relieve your symptoms.

Your sinus problem is a different thing and is not related to this pain.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.