What are the chances of survival after heart attack?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
HEART ATTACK...LIIGHT CHEST PAINS FRIDAY NIGHT..VOMITED AT 2:00 A.M. SATURDAY MORNING...WENT TO HOSPITAL SATURDAY NIGHT(25 HOURS) SUNDAY SURGERY AT 4:00 P.M. QUESTION...HOW MUCH DAMAGE WOULD THAT BE TO THE HEART AND CHANCE OF LIVING A LONG LIFE?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following answer to your queries... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in. I am also happy that you have taken proper medical care in time. With regards to your concern, if cardiac infarction if not complicated with heart failure, has a good prognosis and higher chances for living a long life. In such cases, following healthy lifestyle changes and the treatment as prescribe by your doctor are highly recommended. I also suggest to continue regular follow ups every 6 months and to run regular tests including EKG and stress test. All the best! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!

Follow-up: What are the chances of survival after heart attack? 1 hour later
THIS IS MY SON THAT HAD THE HEART ATTACK AND HOPEFULLY HE WILL FOLLOW THE SURGEONS ADVICE AND I KNOW HE WILL GIVE UP SMOKING BUT PARTY TIME WITH THEIR FRIENDS ARE A WAY OF LIKE FOR HIM. I WAS MOST CONCERNED ABOUT A SECOND HEART ATTACK AS WHEN MY BROTHER HAD A HEART ATTACK A FEW YEARS AGO, THE DOCTOR TOLD HIM THAT HIS HEART MUSCLE AND I THINK HE TOLD US VALVES WAS DAMAGED DUE TO THE TIME THAT HAD PASSED PRIOR TO HIS SURGERY . HE HAD A SECOND HEART ATTACK WITHIN 2 YEARS AND SURVIVED FOR A FEW YEARS BUT WAS NEVER THE SAME. PLEASE ANSWER QUESTION REGARDING DAMAGE TO HEART AND 2ND ATTACK

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Factors determining heart damage&prognosis.. Detailed Answer: Hi Madam, Thank you for following up. Once again, there are many factors determining the heart damage and the chance for the 2nd attack including: - type of infarction your son had. Usually, inferior IAM has a better prognosis. - reduced function of left ventricle - the less the better prognosis - damage to the mitral valves (ischemic mitral regurgitation); if not damaged, the prognosis is good Kindly provide the results of tests and intervention that your son did to specifically assist you further. Please bare in mind that the therapy and follow up aim to interfere to the remodeling of left ventricle preventing further dilatation, reduced function and heart failure. In other words, preventing a 2nd attack. Commonly, the damages of the heart are reversible. Unless, complications would occur in worst of cases. Take care! Dr.Benard