What are the causes,symptoms and hereditary factors of meningioma?

I was involved in an auto accident 1 week ago. A CT scan was done (with contrast) on my head & showed a left parietal calcified meningioma, 1 cm. I will be having an MRI and consulting a neurosurgeon, but I wondered what the cause could be, symptoms, and hereditary factors. I have had breast cancer, lumpectomy & radiation. My sister died of breast cancer, 1st cousin, maternal, of brain cancer, paternal grandfather colon cancer, paternal aunt cancer , maternal uncle cancer. Also have osteopenia/osteoporosis
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Will just need serial MRI Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Small meningiomas are very common incidental findings on CT Scan. As it is calcified, it means that it is not growing fast, and most probably benign tumor. It is also asymptomatic, so most probably, you will not need any surgery for this one. If there would be any bone involvement, CT scan would have diagnose it. It is better to do MRI and to consult neurologist, to know further details. You may need to go for annual MRI, to see the growth of meningioma. Causes of meningiomas are still not known, but as it is more common in females, could be due to Hormonal factors. It is also seen more in Neurofibromatosis, which runs in families. Hope, you received the information, you were expecting. Best wishes. Dr H Hamdani