What are the causes and treatments for the vernix caseosa on ear?

ENT Specialist
Dear Dr,

What are the causes and treatments for the following ear condition pls.
Would you pls include any URL that might have sample pictures if you would.

Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since he is only 6 weeks old, you are probably referring to the 'Vernix Caseosa'. This is a cheesy white mixture of shed skin, dried amniotic fluid and lanugo during the embryological development of the child.

2. The yellow bits could be wax and skin flakes.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine his right ear with an otoscope and then clean the debris. This debris may be sent for bacterial / fungal culture and histopathology examination. This will help rule out an otitis externa. You may share a close-up image here. Add an image of the left ear and the pink acne, dry skin / suspected eczema, too.

4. If the child does not seem to be having any irritation and if the ear drum is normal on the right, there is no treatment necessary.

5. You may ask you doctor to prescribe a wax dissolving ear drop for the right ear for a week or two. Most wax dissolving ear drops contain an anti-bacterial and an anti-fungal agent.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.