What are skin side effects, contraindications, and treatments for someone with IBS?

What are skin side effects, contraindications, and treatments for side effect of someone with IBS?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 13 hours later

Thanks for your query. I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I like to conform from you whether you wanted information about IBS or IBD.

IBS is irritable bowel syndrome and skin manifestations are very rare in this condition. Where as in IBD that is inflammatory bowel disease, one can present with many skin manifestation.

The major types of IBD are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC).

1. Skin manifestation in IBD are erythema nodosum, red bump, tender red nodules on XXXXXXX ankle and arm. They are more common in UC. Other manifestations are;
- Pyoderma gangrenosum that is pus in the skin associated with XXXXXXX ulcerations.
- An enterocutaneous fistula is an abnormal channel from the intestine to the skin—often from the rectum to the vagina, bladder, or buttocks. Skin tags are common and small mouth ulcers known as aphthous ulcer.
- In case of severe IBD, due to nutritional deficiencies skin become flaky and rash that generally appears on the face, hands, feet, and perineum condition is known as acrodermatitis enteropathica may develop. Hypo pigmentation is also seen.

2. The treatment of IBS is a difficult because so few drugs have been studied or have been shown to be effective in treating IBS. The drugs that have been shown to be useful have not been substantially effective.

Treatment depends on the type of IBD. It is important to eat a healthy diet. Diet has role in CD and less effect in UC.

Drugs used in treatment of IBD are anti-inflammatory drugs. Antibiotic may be helpful in CD. If no improvement is seen steroids can be tried. In addition immune modifying agents are step III drugs to be used if corticosteroids fail.

Regarding surgery ulcerative colitis is a surgically curable disease because the disease is limited to the colon. However, surgical resection is not curative in persons with crohn's disease.

3. Contraindication to treatment depends on the drug given and any associated diseases from which you are suffering.

It may have been better if you had mentioned your past medical history and drug history. Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer