What are side effects of pantocid?

I want to know side effects of pantocid l capsule ,How long it can be taken? I am taking the medicine since last 6 months.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually safe... Detailed Answer: Hi, Pantocid is generally well tolerated by most individuals especially when used for short duration say 2-3 weeks. A small subset of people have experienced headache, nausea, loose stools and vague abdominal pain with it, but that is uncommon. Prolonged use can causes achlorhydria leading vitamin (B12) / mineral (iron and zinc) deficiency, intestinal infection/inflammation, skin and liver issues. However the incidence of side effect is low. Therefore many doctors have prescribed pantocid for months together without significant complaints. In short, this is one of the well tolerated medicine that you can trust using for short period of 2-4 weeks. If benefits out weight small incidence of unwanted effects that I described above, you can continue using it. Your doctor would be the right person to decide benefit vs side effect ratio. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards
Follow-up: What are side effects of pantocid? 4 hours later
I am asking particularly about Pantocid-L.Kindly reply the side effects of this medicine if it is taken for a long time say for one year.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Combination safe for short duration treatment... Detailed Answer: Hi, Apologize for misreading it. Pantocid L unlike pantocid also contains a prokinetic agent levosulpiride. It doesn't add significantly to the side effects when taken for short duration. So besides headache, nausea and loose stools, you may experience drowsiness and weakness with this combination. However unlike pantocid, I would not favour long term regular use of pantocid L for more than couple of weeks. It cause cause hormonal disturbances leading to gynecomastia and libido changes in some people. In short, pantocid L is ok for short time; but prefer not to take it regularly on the long run unless strongly indicated such as in cases of chemotherapy induced vomiting. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards