Ask a Dentist   »  

Went for teeth whitening. Dripped solution on lips and chin. Having painful ans swelled lips. Advised antihistamine. Suggest?

I went to a new dentist today to get my teeth whitened. The special sponge to protect my lips kept popping out and the solution dripped over my bottom lip and chin. She washed it right away but coming home my lip swelled up by 4 times the normal size. It's very painful and is starting to blister. The dentist recommended I take an antihistamine but didn't offer any other advice. It feels burned and I am afraid it might get infected. Is there something besides cool water I can use to ease the pain and what can I use to prevent the lip from getting infected?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 53 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern. I went through the details provided with diligence and my comments are as follows:

1. Accidental spillage is common drawback of teeth whitening procedure when done using a gel. The gel has oxidizing properties. On skin and mucous membrane such as lips it can induce inflammatory response.

2. Lip inflammation secondary to accidental spillage of gel is a self healing potential. Symptomatic drugs such as antihistamines and pain killers can be helpful. However you have history of renal disease use of pain killers are contraindicated.

3. Therefore please continue antihistamines as advised. Avoid touching it with your fingers and continue ice application. As the condition is self healing, do not be worried.

4. Antibiotic can be started after assessing your current renal status, if there are signs of infection. Based on the details provided, I do not find any symptoms suggestive of infection. Look out for fever and discharge from the affected areas.

In brief, do not worry. The current symptoms are likely to improve. Watch the progress of symptoms and see your doctor tomorrow if it's not resolved.

Hope this helps. For further query please let me know.