Weight loss, constipation with dark stools. Bad eating habits. Symptoms of colon cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Is weight loss an early or late symptom of colon cancer. I am 30 and about 8 years ago I lost weight without a reason, but i have gained weight in the last 5 years or so. I have had some constipation with darker stools but it could be because I am eatting a lot of fat with no fiber. Anytime is weight loss usually an early or late symptom?
I have not been eatting really right. I eat a lot of fast foods and no fruits or veggies, but Like I said I lost weight 8 years ago, but since then I have been gaining weight and I have no loose of hunger, but I do get constipated sometimes. I am 30, and I was wondering if you think that this could have been from colon cancer 8 years ago with the weight loss?
Thanks and again I have been gaining weight and I always have an appetite
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later

Weight loss is one of the symptoms and not the only symptom of colon cancer. Further, weight loss can be a manifestation of several diseases.
I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry as you regained the weight lost.

Secondly, regarding your constipation and dark stools, I would suggest that you get yourself investigated for occult blood test in stool
There are a good number of eatables that can cause dark stool. Further, some gastrointestinal disorders also may lead to darker stools

As far as your history is concerned if you take high fibre diet or a fibre supplement along with lot of fluids orally, you would be able to control your constipation

The details provided do not point to colon cancer and in eight years it would have spread and caused lot of other symptoms, so go ahead and enjoy a normal healthy life, but do control your constipation

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Get well soon