Weight loss after taking Thyronorm tablets. Is it normal?

Hello Doctor
I have been testted TSH 116 and low t4 level suggested Thyronorm 100 mg but after taking it for 3 and halfmonth i have lost weight of about 5- 6kgs , shall i be concerned about the same. ????
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 34 minutes later

You have provided me with good information. However, as I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Do you fever, cough?
2. Any recent infection or illness.

Weight reduction is sometimes seen when one is on thyroid supplements.

Thyronorm which is given to correct hypothyroidism can reduce weight by itself. This probably may be reason for your recent loss of weight.

You should continue with the treatment, this will not cause further weight loss. Do not worry.

If you weight loss has not stopped or you have any signs of fever, cough, infection you will need to get investigated by your Physician.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.