Wear and tear in the knee joint, difficulty to walk, heard knuckle sounds while walking. Suggestion?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctor,

Three years back while jogging, I slipped but didnt fell down. As a result had a wear and tear in the knee joint muscles and was unable to walk properly. Later, with the help of Physiotherapist I have done the certain exercises like squats to strengthen the muscles and recovered somehow. However, in the recent past I hear some nuckle sounds from the joints and at times if I am strained walking a long distance or was standing for a long time around the knee area.
Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later

Sometimes as a normal phenomena, fluid (synovial fluid) that lubricate the joint release bubbles which pop and crackle with movement. This occurs very commonly after a period of inactivity or during certain movements. I am not sure if this is what you have, but this is my most likely explanation to your symptoms.

You don't need to worry if there is no associated joint pain; but you have to do some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joint - stronger muscle will take the weight of the joint and help to reduce the pressure on articulating surfaces, thus preventing any damage to the joint.

I hope I have provided you the right guidance. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts of the case.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon
Follow-up: Wear and tear in the knee joint, difficulty to walk, heard knuckle sounds while walking. Suggestion? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your quick response.
Just to brief you my physical details, I am 5' 8" tall and weighing around 95 KG. My BMI is way high. I need to reduce my weight and hence started playing shuttle. I feel pains in the joints along with other parts of the body. However, in a day it will be alright.

Is that okey playing shuttle with my given knee conditions. Also, please share the exercises if any apart from squat excercises.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.

It is very nice to hear that you want to loose your weight.Decrease in body weight reduces pressure over joints.There is no harm in playing shuttle infact it is good for conditioning of joints.

I would suggest you to try swimming and mild aerobic exercises as this will help for your knee and other joints.

Apart from squat exercises you can do-

Static Inner Quadriceps Contraction
Tighten the muscle at the front of your thigh (quadriceps) by pushing your knee down into a towel .Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times as hard as possible pain free.

Static Hamstring Contraction
Begin this exercise in sitting with your knee bent to about 45 degrees. Press your heel into the floor tightening the back of your thigh (hamstrings). Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times as hard as possible pain free.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta