Water splashed into eye while cleaning commode. How to prevent infection?

I was cleaning out my commode filled with stool and some of the water from bath used to clean out the commode splashed into my eye. I wonder if there is anything i should do to protect against infection.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

At first, I hope you have rinsed and cleaned your eyes. If you haven't, you should either buy a sterile eye solution which should be easily available in all medical stores, if they are not available ask for lubricants that increase tear production in the eyes. In the meantime, before you purchase these drops, you could run some water over your eyes, and blink as frequently as possible. Please do not rub your eyes or manually try to clean your eye, as this can push any possible contaminants to the back of your eye, resulting in infections.

The next thing you should do is to start on a preventive/prophylactic course of antibiotic solution for the eye (to be used 2-3 times a day, for 3 days). Solutions like ciprofloxacin will work perfectly in such situations. For this, you will have to visit a doctor. Also, please report to a doctor if you experience symptoms like pain, redness of eye, discharge, etc; as these are all signs of either an allergic reaction to contaminants from the water that came in contact with your eye or early signs of an infection.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.