Was whipped and caned. Bleeding from back, buttocks and having purple rash. Should I go for HIV test?

Dear Doctor,
i recently visited a dominatrix for the first time and was whipped and caned- there was little pain but there was bleeding from my back and buttocks and three weeks later the purple rash is all that remains.However, to my horror i have read that there is an extremely low risjk that hiv can be transmitted via this activity, even though its highly unlikely since the hiv virus dies once exposed to air meaning that if previous client was whipped and the instrunment wasnt cleaned(im assuming the worst case that the previous client had hiv) and the whip was used minutes after could i have caugh the virus and if so, most people recommend only the 28 day postexposure DUO Test for such a negligible risk activity, telling me that the 90 day postexposure test would be totally unecessary in this situation. Is this correct, or do i need hiv testing atall. Also, i read on the internet that Hepatitus is much more likely to have occured, and what are the post exposure tests for this.Is it true that intestinal Parasites can be transmitted by these actions, which is hard to understand when most parasites complete their life cycle in the human host such as toxocara .
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes; yes; test for hep antibodies; no sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Yes sir, you are right, the HIV virus dies quite rapidly once exposed to air. The chances of you contracting HIV is slim to absent.

Yes sir, a 28-day post-exposure DUO HIV test would more than suffice to rule out/confirm HIV; and it is best to always rule out the infection for your satisfaction.

Hepatitis is possible sir, and the post-exposure investigations would include checking for antibodies for hepatitis B, and C. Although the chances are as low as 0.1 to 0.3 %.

As for the intestinal parasites, this is unlikely sir. I doubt they can be transmitted from through the process of exposure you experienced.

I hope I have succeeded in addressing all your queries. Please feel free to write back to me if I have not addressed any query well enough or if you have any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Was whipped and caned. Bleeding from back, buttocks and having purple rash. Should I go for HIV test? 22 hours later
Dear Doctor,
The reply was most helpful as i think reading on internet frighhtens people unnecesarily. However, a risk is a risk, nomatter how small and since such antisocial activities havent been researched you seem to tell me that 28 days HIV Duo test is a precautionary measure and if negative, i must forget and move on with my life and ignore the 90 day test as that relates to medium and high risk exposures as it would be impoosible to seroconvert under the circumstances i explained above.Secondly, if i get tested privately should i look for international quality standards and CPA Laboratories as a reassurance that im getting the test results quickly but properly analysed using proper safety precautions with equipment as i doubt anyone has been infected by getting a HIV test but i have a dilemma in going to NHS Clinic for free where the wait and number of visits are much longer or going to a private organisation like better2know and getting the same day results.What im concerned about here is that if i go to a private fee paying clincic, am i still protected by my basic patient rights in regards to compensation should i encounter problems??
Brief Answer:
Accuracy same; private clinics safer

Detailed Answer:

Yes, a HIV DUO should suffice and if negative, you should move on with your life.

Secondly, the fact that a free test is conducted does not make it any less accurate. The reason why there are long waiting periods for free clinics is simply because they are free, the only disadvantage might be a longer waiting period for results; but otherwise there is no other difference. Private clinics would give you top priority and value for your money, with good customer service and test reports on time, nothing more. Accuracy and safety in performing tests should not be a problem.

Risk of exposure to HIV is absent, as all tests are conducted using new and sterile blood collecting needles and syringes. So the final choice is completely yours sir. Although, the free clinics do not provide compensation of any sort, no such issue should come up. But of course, private clinics wouuld be a safer option.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes