Was vomiting with throat pain and loose motion. Having difficulty to talk, sore throat like cold and flu. Medication?

ENT Specialist
Dear Doctor,

I had to travel for 4 days, and as such had to eat food in restaurants that weren't so great. Two days ago, I started vomiting the food I ate the night before that and as a result of vomiting, my throat is severely painful. My vomiting however stopped immediately, and my motions were loose until yesterday (stools are becoming somewhat solid today).

I drank plenty of fluids, and avoided any cooked food for yesterday (ate 3 apples and two glasses of XXXXXXX juice).

I started eating normally today, but my throat is painful, and I voice has become very deep. I find it difficult to talk normally (feels like I'm having one of those sore throats that sometimes accompanies cold and flu).

My doctor suggests that no medication is needed, and that I just avoid any cold food.

I'm writing here for a second opinion to seek if any medication is needed, and/or any precautions that I need to take.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later

Thank you for writing to Healthcare Magic.

After reading your query I can conclude that your main problem was acidity. Because of spicy and oily food, you had acidity and this was the main reason for your vomiting. The reflux of food causes burns to the food pipe and throat. You have reflux symptoms but you are developing complications related to it. To get better, you can do the following.
- Keep head end of bed elevated.
- Avoid alcohol, Smoking
- Do brisk walking daily
- Go for walk after dinner
- Avoid spicy food     
- Avoid late night coffee

Do gargle with XXXXXXX warm water with some salt in it 3 times a day. It should be getting better soon.

In case, it does not get better within one week, please do review with your treating doctor.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Get well soon
Follow-up: Was vomiting with throat pain and loose motion. Having difficulty to talk, sore throat like cold and flu. Medication? 16 hours later
Dear doctor,

Thanks for your inputs.

I do not have acidity related problems.

According to my doctor, the vocal cords were stressed due to severe vomiting, and that caused a painful and sore throat. However, I was suggested not to take any medication and that the throat will heal on its own. I was only asked to avoid taking anything cold or fried.

My need was to know if I should take any medication for the throat. But it now appears to be healing on its own although it's still a little rough and sore.

I do agree with your doctor. It is because of the severe vomiting and the acids, which come out with food.

There is no need for any medication. Please follow my earlier suggestions.