Was prescribed ezact 90 for Gout along with Zyloric. Having allergy lesions near lips. Alternative medicine for ezact?

I was prescribed ezact 90 for Gout (High uric Acid) to be taken whenever there is severe pain in my joints ( Usually leg - Specific area each time) along with Zyloric .
As i am getting an allergy lesion near my lips every time i take this it was diagnoised by a Skin specialist as KDA ( Known Drug Allergy) & he told not to take Cox Inhibitors .
What is the alternate medicine for Ezact which does not have Cox inhibitors
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Ezact 90 is Etoricoxib used in 'acute' Gout. Zyloric is Allopurinol used in 'chronic' Gout. Acute Gout manifests as sudden onset of severe inflammation in small joints, mainly the joint of big toe. When pain and stiffness persist in a joint even between attacks, then it is chronic Gout.

Allopurinol is usually not started during an acute attack but is given once the attack subsides. During the initial months of treatment, acute attack of Gout is more common due to fluctuating plasma uric acid level. Only during this time NSAIDs like Etoricoxib are given. Etoricoxib results in aphthous ulcer, the lesion near lips.

Being a hypertensive, selective COX-2 inhibitors like Etoricoxib are not indicated for you. They should be avoided in hypertensives as they increase cardiovascular risk. However, other non -selective COX inhibitors like Aceclofenac and piroxicam will not result in cardiovascular complications. Both are usually well tolerated.

But since you are sensitive to NSAIDS, Colchicine is the only alternative for you. It is the only other drug given in acute Gout. It is neither an analgesic nor an anti inflammatory drug yet it still suppresses Gouty inflammation. It does not inhibit COX.

Colchicine acts faster than NSAIDs in terminating an acute attack. But the adverse effects are high and dose related. When taken as a small dose (0.5 mg)at the first symptom of the attack, colchicine is very effective in aborting an attack. Your treating Dr will know about this drug.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any other concerns.