Ask a Urologist   »  

Was prescribed Bactrim for UTI. While standing knees were swollen, inflamed and painful. Side effect?

I am a female and was prescribed an antibiotic for a knee became immediately swollen, inflamed, and painful. Was it a reaction to the antibiotic? They drained my knee at the emergency room and put me on a stronger antibiotic but did not know why this happened. I was told to stop taking "Bactrim".
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,side effect of Bactrim

Detailed Answer:

According to your saying, you have been using Bactrim to treat swelling of the legs or joints is reported as side effect of using Bactrim, that's why your doctors told you not to use it.

Do not worry, although the majority of patients do not experience any side effects; some others, like you might face various bad impacts.

It is good that you did not go through other major concerns threatening your life.

Hope it helped!

You can write to me other concerns you might have.