Was ill, have experienced consistent ear pain, headache, vertigo and node swelling before ovulation and periods. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hi after becoming very ill last Oct, I have experienced consistent ear pain and node swelling (behind my ears) about a week before I ovulate and a few days before my period and periodically throughout the month. I also get bad headaches (back of head up to right eye), experienced vertigo a few times and when symptoms are really bad many times the right side of my throat will hurt. My ears pop a lot and most of the time feel very plugged. Any ideas what I may be experiencing?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Ear pain and swollen lymph nodes most likely are caused by an infection in this area. It can be XXXXXXX ear infection, tooth inflammation, saliva gland infection. Vertigo and headache is one of the ear infection symptoms. And as the ear is in close neighborhood to the brain, such infection can be very XXXXXXX
That is why you should definitely visit laryngologist, have physical examination and get antibiotics prescription.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Was ill, have experienced consistent ear pain, headache, vertigo and node swelling before ovulation and periods. Suggest? 1 hour later
Is it possible to get an infection like you are talking about in both ears? pain and swelling is much worse on the right side but I do have some pain and swelling on the left side as well. I also have lots of neck pain and when I move my neck I hear like crunching, or like sand, its hard to explain. Also, like I mentioned all these symptoms started after becoming very ill. I first thought the illness was a kidney infection (used to have chronic kidney infections when I was younger) but I had a urinalysis at the ER and was told there was no infection. But the pain was very bad in my back near my kidneys, I had body temp issues (fever, then low temp), it eventually caused pain in my chest, vision issues, and pain in my head and neck. I felt better after almost 2 weeks. It was awful, but some of the symptoms stayed and different symptoms started over time. The other weird symptom that I have experienced about the last 6 months or so is muscle soreness, and muscle twitches. Probably 30-50 a day all over my body, twitching that is. I know extreme anxiety can cause this, but really I haven't been that anxious (not on any medication). I know I sound like a paranoid rambler, but I am just really tired of feeling like this. Some days its completely debilitating.
Also, I should add. I do not always run a fever, but when I put my temple thermometer behind my right ear where the swelling and pain is, it shows that back there the temperature in that area is always over 100 degrees.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Ear infection after acute inflammation can become chronic infection. If so, the pain can appear with every cold, or low temperature (during the winter). It can be on both sides.
However there is also possible that the source of an infection is in your throat. In this area, XXXXXXX ear is connected with throat. Such source of an infection can be enlarged tonsils. Due to an inflammation in this area XXXXXXX ear can get obstructed (on both sides) and inflamed as well. This can give all mentioned by you symptoms (head pain, neck pain, dizziness, fevers, body twitching etc).
Enlarged lymph nodes do not appear without a reason. Most common is an infection and you should have it diagnosed.
So before blaming an anxiety, please verify this diagnose and discuss with laryngologist. Antibiotics can make all your symptoms go away.

Hope this will help.