Was exposed to HIV years back. Will the results be positive now?

I was exposed to HIV seventeen years ago. I just recently got tested and I'm nervous about the results. Also I have no Symptoms
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 50 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
It is extremely unlikely that you would test positive for HIV. Since 17 years have passed since you were exposed, you would have developed full blown AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome by now) and would be having several symptoms ( which could range from mild to very severe).
There is an extremely small percentage(~1%) of HIV positive people known as Long Term Non progressors in whom the infection does not progress to AIDS and they continue to remain healthy. It is unlikely you belong to that group.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Was exposed to HIV years back. Will the results be positive now? 8 hours later
Thank you some much for your reply. I need to clear up two things, it may be the same answer but I still would like to ask. I was exposed sixteen years ago not seventeen that's first. Second my husband and I was together for fourteen years making it fourteen years for him. Neither one of use have any symptoms. Does that change anything?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Making it 16 years instead of 17 years does not change anything. If you had acquired the infection at that time, you would have developed AIDS by now.
Since you haven't acquired the infection, the question of spreading it to your husband does not arise. So I would expect him to be healthy as well.
I would suggest you put it in the past and move ahead.
Wish you health and happiness.