Was diagnosed with malignant melanoma pathological stage T1a. What is it?

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with malignant malinoma pathological stage T1a. Please tell me what is it? Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This is an excellent question.

Your husband was diagnosed with a very early stage melanoma. T1a means the melanoma is small, thin, and is without evidence of ulceration. These are all favorable characteristics.

Generally a melanoma is treated with a wide local incision to remove the tumor as well as some surrounding normal tissue.

The next step in management is surveillance including regular Checkup with a dermatologist and oncologist. This is an early stage melanoma and has a high likelihood of cure.

Please let me know if I can help you with any additional concerns.

Dr Galamaga