Walking 3 miles on treadmill but in 3 sessions. Is this beneficial?

I have been walking 3 miles a day on a treadmill, however I have been doing them in 3 sessions, 20 minutes each (morning, afternoon and early evening. I'm 5 feet tall, so my stride is very short)
Is this as beneficial as completing 3 miles in a 1 hour session?
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not really.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that the benefit of exercise depends on the speed and stamina and not on the duration .

May be the one hour session will be more beneficial because that will cause you abilites more under stress and causes more strenuous exercise because it is done at stretch and thus more calories are to be consumed as you are more tired and thus it becomes more difficult to carry out further exercise .

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Shruti