Waking up with headache and tightness in chest. What could be causing this?

I have on a few occassions (3 over last 6 months) woke with a headache and tightness in chest. Along with a bit of fatique. It is my practice to do a few "touching of toes" (as well as other stretching excercises) each morning and I found that as I bent over the headacke seemed to be more pronounced. Cleared up within a half hour or so.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

These are the possibilities I think of :

1. Sinusitis, points in favour: headache worsens on bending down.
2. Angina or chest pain XXXXXXX chest tightness
3. Gastritis XXXXXXX chest tightness
4. Anxiety XXXXXXX headache and chest tightness
5. Irregular sleeping habits/ insomnia on the previous night.

I would advise you to visit your physician as soon as possible as chest tightness cannot be ignored ,given your age. It might /might not be due to a cardiac condition, still it would be a good idea to rule it out. The doctor might ask for certain investigations like ECG, ECHO, treadmill test and blood investigations after examining you.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan