Wahat causes severe back pain after a concussion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my girlfriend had a concussion about a month ago.She now has severe back pain in the thorasic area.She is on hydrocodone.Not helping. She has been throwing up today;3times.She had a CT scan it was negative.EKG looked good.X-ray of her back looked good also;no fractures.She is contacting her doctor tomorrow to schedule an MRI. could she be having heart problems?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI brain and spine should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. In patient with concussion if repeat CT is normal then MRI brain and spine should be done. Due to compression of nerve root there can be pain in your back. I will advise you to do MRI thoracic spine, and EMG- NCV [nerve conduction study] As her EKG is normal possibility of heart disease is less likely. A 2-D ECHO study for heart will help to rule out any age related heart disease. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care