WHat should be done for a knee injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell on ice and popped something under my right kneecap. I can't put weight on it except straight legged (and then only a little). I am now in bed with pillows under the knee and ice packs wrapped around it. I took 4 ibuprofen. Should I wrap it tonight? How long can I ice it?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, ice packs wrapped around knee at night. Detailed Answer: “Hi, I have read your problem. You have not mention any history of bruising, swelling in knee area. But your symptoms still concern me. I would suggest to get x-ray of right knee skyline view done. You can upload the report to me or discuss it with your doctor. I will suggest the following, till x-ray is done: 1. Apply ice packs around knee region for two days for 30 minutes in morning and evening, but not at night time or during sleep. 2. Avoid walking or climbing stairs till x-ray report is discussed. 3. Try to remain in bed with pillow under your calf not knee to avoid future swelling to occur. 4. You can continue over the counter pain killer. It may be better if you can add serratio-peptidase combination drugs instead of simple pain killers. Serratio-peptidase + pain killer combination is available on prescription alone though. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Thanks. Dr.Singh.”