Vomiting, pain in the abdomen. Liver stones?

I asked my doctor if my vomiting, and pain rt side of abdomen could be liver stones. She said there is no such thing? So my question is if there are liver stones, how to detect it and treat?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later

The symptoms that you have are not complete to say them as liver stones.

Normally the stones that we see in hepatobiliary system are the gallbladder stones technically known as cholelithiasis. Rarely stones are also found in the ducts within the liver and are known as hepatolithiasis. I beleive this is what you mean by liver stones.

Hepatolithiasis is a manifestation of Recurrent pyogenic cholangitis (bile duct inflammation) or Oriental Cholangiohepatitis (reflects the geographic distribution). These are usually associated with biliary parasitic infections with round worm or liver flukes. It presents as recurrent cholangitis - fever, (R) upper quadrant pain & jaundice.

It can be diagnosed by a combination of clinical history and imaging studies like MRCP (Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) or ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography). ERCP helps in detection as well as removal (treatment ) of the stones.

Hope this answers your concern.