Vomiting on eating. Endoscopy, blood test normal. Bacterial infection in gastroentestinal tract. Treatment for vomiting?

My niece is 16 years old. For three months now she has been on a feeding tube that drips during the night. She cannot eat or drink without vomiting. She occasionally has dry heaves. She has been seeing multiple doctors and has been hospitalized twice. No diagnosis has been provided to date. Endoscopy showed no obstruction or abnormalities. Blood tests did not show any abnormalities and no infection. Prior to onset, she suffered from a severe bacterial infection in the gastroentestinal tract caused by working in a pet shop. She was on antibiotics for two weeks.

Any hypotheses?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later

It is reasonable to know the metabolic state, serum electrolytes, BMI any prior medical conditions. It is very difficult to comment her state.

There are several causes of the symptoms that your niece is having. These include:
a. Cyclical vomiting syndrome
b. Small bowel obstruction due to adhesions, masses etc
d. Organic brain disease, diseases of the autonomic nervous system and degenerative neuromuscular diseases of the gut.
e. Diabetes, adrenal insufficiency and hypercalcemia
f. Psychogenic causes like Bulimia / Anorexia - extremely common in this age group.
g. In some cases, the cause cannot be ascertained despite extensive workup

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.