Very distressed, chest pains, heart disease, stroke, calcified nodules, foam in mouth, edema. Treatment?

Very distressed. I have been experiencing chest pains. Heart disease/stroke was ruled out after tests, lung scans show a number of calcified nodules (I had TB in my twenties), and a 5mm non-calcified nodule. The doctor recommended a checkup in 1 yr to ensure the nodule is benign.

In the meantime, I have intermittent chest pain and foam in the mouth - sometimes copious amounts. Strangely enough, the tests showed no edema or fluids in the lungs. The foaming happens every few days or so and subsides on its own.

What could this be and how to best treat this? Please please help.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 54 minutes later

In view of the mentioned reports, the nodules don’t seem to have any active tubercular activity. I don’t believe you have any active chest disease and the investigations for heart disease have also ruled out a heart disease.

The foaming at mouth seems to be nothing but excessive production of saliva (also called water brash) which can happen as a compensatory mechanism to excessive production of acid in the stomach and its reflux into the food pipe.

It’s diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy or upper GO endoscopy.

GERD can also mimic a heart disease and cause intermittent chest pain and hence acid reflux can be responsible for these symptoms. It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:
1) Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2) It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

3) To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietitian will be helpful.

4) Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.