Vein on arm below wrist expanded, three times normal size. Treatment ?

Vein on arm below wrist suddenly expanded 3 times its normal size. what is it and what to do immediately?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Sudden expansion of a vein to three times its normal size means its drainage has got blocked either due to valvular incompetence or due to lodging of some clot in the vein.
This needs to be looked at by a physician who will run some tests to check your coagulation and lipid levels and color doppler is needed to see the area of blockage. This is not something where you can do anything to help yourself.

You need to see your physician soon.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.