Vasovagal attacks, bamboo spine. How to reduce the attacks?

Vasa vagal, 65 year old man. He is having more attacks. Is there any thing out there that can slow them down? 5' 9" and 165 lbs. Also have bambo spine.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

Your question is an interesting one. I will try my best to answer the query.

Vasovagal attacks in the elderly is a difficult problem to treat. I assume that the diagnosis of Vasovagal Syncope has been confirmed already. He is already on medicines like Zolfot and Midodrine which help in vasovagal attacks. If he is not responding to these medicines he can be tried on Betablockers like Metoprolol, and Fludrocortisone which increases the salt content in the body.

If he does not respond to these then only option is to go for permanent pace maker implantation.

Other precipitating factors, such as prolonged standing or sitting, excess alcohol intake and exercising after large meals or in a hot environment should be avoided.

I hope, I have made it clear to you.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.