Using sysron N, noticed small bald patch on head. Reason?

Mar 2013
am using sysron N ., suddenly i noticed a small bald patch on right side of my head. can u tell
what is the reason
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
Sysron N is not responsible for hair loss.
I have gone through the list of medications mentioned by you.
Thyronorm and Istamet ( metformin ) both have side effects of slight hair loss.
However, amongst the medications mentioned, Starpress ( metoprolol ) is the one most strongly associated with severe hair loss ( alopecia ).
There are numerous evidences in scientific literature regarding the role of Metoprolol in causing hair loss.
I think that is the main reason for the kind of hair loss that is visible in the picture.
Also, hypothyroidism itself predisposes to hair loss, so that could be an added factor.
As long as your TSH levels, blood pressure and blood sugars are controlled, you should talk to your physician about changing or substituting Metoprolol ( alternative for Starpress XL ).
If the alopecia is as severe as the kind you are experiencing, it mandates change of drug.
Hope this answer helped you.
Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions.
All the best.